Friday, November 16, 2007

Where has the time gone?

I can't believe I only have one more test to go in my undergraduate "career", where has the time gone? When I originally went to college - right out of high school - I was 17 and the next 3 1/2 years seemed to drag on before I was able to walk across the stage and be the proud owner of a piece of paper that says that I had earned a Bachelor of Science in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. (Yes I know I have a BS and I am full of BS!) See my picture? Ignore the double chin, back angle I am sure, and focus on all the pretty cords! The yellow one was for graduating with graduation honors (that's right good ole 2.38 GPA in high school got graduation honors in college) and the blue and white one is for Pi Gamma Mu the International Honor Society for Social Sciences. I should have had another blue and yellow one for Psi Chi the National Honor Society in Psychology but the professor did not get the paperwork done in time for me to have it at graduation. That is ok I will have it this time around and I guess it will replace the hood (yellow thing across my throat) that they have decided not to use for undergraduates anymore.

One week after that date it was Christmas, another week it was my wedding day and the third week after I graduated I started my job as a Financial Aid Counselor for the university I graduated from. Ever since then it seems like time has just flown by! After a year of working at the university I was eligible for a really generous tuition waiver program so I decided that I would go back to school. I really liked my sociology classes and the few criminal justice classes I took when I was working on my first degree. They were not only interesting but they seemed to all work together, in my world view, to explain the world we live in. Now I know that Psychologists hate Sociologist and vice versa but I see it as a combination of fields that should work together to figure out the problems we are facing. Think of it this way individuals make up society so psychology is important and then how those individuals interact with each other creates the societies that we are forced to live in and so sociology is important. Then I just enjoy criminal justice in all it's glory and gore.

Well I decided that because I already had a minor in sociology and I had taken so many criminal justice classes the first time around why not finish up two more degrees? Besides I only had another 36 credit hours to earn before I could get both... why not? So I took the leap and went back to classes in January of 2006... 5 semesters later I only have four more weeks until graduation! I can't believe it, what am I going to do with no classes to go to, no papers to write at the last minute, no tests to cram for and with more free nights every week? You might say relax but I don't know if I can do that? More than likely I will go back to school someday to go further in my education... but that will just make me decide what I want to be when I grow up and I don't know if I am ready to grow up anytime soon.
If anyone is interested in seeing me walk across the stage the graduation ceremony is on December 15th at 10am. The ceremony will be taking place at Central Community Church, 6100 W Maple.

No comments: